Friday, August 15, 2014

New Fall 2014 Shows -- The "E," "F' and "G" Shows




 

 It's the most wonderful time of the year!  NEW FALL TV SHOWS!  I am reviewing each and every one of the new shows and will be posting them in chunks.  

Continuing my series of reviews, today it's the E, F and G Shows! (Click here If you missed the A shows and Click here for the B and C shows!)



What do you think?  Do any of these look good?  Leave your comment on the facebook page





Empire (Fox) – MIDSEASON -- EMPIRE is described as a unique family drama set in the world of a hip-hop empire. It centers on Lucious Lyon (Terrence Howard), a charismatic, savvy music superstar (who sold drugs as a child so he could buy food), and is now about to take his company, Empire Entertainment, public. 

My Thoughts….after watching the preview, it looks more like a major motion picture than a series.  It looks amazing and interesting and very well acted.  I predict that EMPIRE will be on the cover of TV Guide twice.  Once as “The Best Show You’re Not Watching,” and once as one of the “SOS: Save Our Shows” show.  

 

Forever (ABC)Ioan Gruffudd plays Doctor Henry Morgan, a New York City medical examiner with a secret.  He doesn't just study the dead to solve criminal cases, he does it to solve the mystery that has eluded him for 200 years—the answer to his own inexplicable immortality. He can never die.  He always comes back…in water…naked (thank GOD Henry is in very nice shape for a 200 year old fella!).  He is partnered up with a pretty detective, (played by Alana De La Garza) who wants to figure out his secret. 

My thoughts… This looks really good!  Henry’s only real friend, played by Judd Hirsch, tells Henry, ”You might not be able to die, but you haven’t lived for a long time,” which tells me that Henry might venture off his lifelong goal of looking for answers, and might start seeing what’s actually around him now.  I really want to watch this, but I’m afraid.  ABC has a really bad habit of getting me sucked into shows and cancelling them after about 10 episodes.  With no closure.  And that sucks. 

Okay…I’ll watch it and you should, too!  I looks really good. 

 

 Fresh Off the Boat (ABC) – MIDSEASON -- It’s the 90s and 12 year old, hip-hop loving Eddie just moved to suburban Orlando from DC’s Chinatown with his parents. It’s culture shock for his immigrant family in this comedy about pursuing the American Dream. Cultural confusion=funny.  FOTB is based on Chef Eddie Huang’s memoir, “Fresh off the Boat.”

My thoughts…ALL AMERICAN GIRL (Margaret Cho’s 1994 series) meets BLACK-ISH meets ROSANNE. It looks funny, but I think the excitement and uproar from the Asian community will turn people off.  Doing research on this show, I found quite a bit of finger-pointing and name calling towards the “Whites.”

 

 Galavant (ABC) – MIDSEASONABC says: “Screenwriter/executive producer Dan Fogelman (Crazy, Stupid, Love, Tangled, Cars) teams up with Broadway and Hollywood award-winning musical team -- composer Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast) and lyricist Glenn Slater (Tangled) -- for a musical comedy fairytale of epic proportions. Once upon a time, the dashing hero, Galavant (Joshua Sasse) lost the love of his life, Madalena (Mallory Jansen), to the evil King Richard (Timothy Omundson). Now, our fallen hero is ready to take revenge and restore his “happily ever after.” But it won’t be without a few twists and turns along the way.”

My thoughts…OMG OMG OMG!  I can’t stop watching this preview! At first I was thinking “This is kind of like ONCE UPON A TIME meets Shrek.  But then Timothy Omundson started SINGING!!!  (Omundson is probably best known as Detective Carlton Lassitor from PSYCH).  I enjoy “fallen hero-making a comeback” stories and I enjoy Disney movies (and I love Timothy Omundson!)-I will love this.  I will watch, and if it’s amazing, I will make you watch, too!

 

Gotham (Fox)The good. The Evil. The Beginning.  (Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn!)  GOTHAM will tackle Bruce Wayne's younger years through the eyes of (not-yet-commissioner) Detective Gordon (Ben McKenzie). But as much as it's about the origin of Batman, it's also about the beginning of his enemies. 

My thoughts…the whole “Before Batman, there was GOTHAM” this is a great concept.  This looks to be a great program.  I’m just worried that the hardcore Batman nerds will pick this show apart the way they did S.H.I.E.L.D. and if so, will they give up on it early?

 

Gracepoint (Fox) -- Ten-episode mystery event series, GRACEPOINT, follows the tragic death of a young boy, and the major police investigation and nationwide media frenzy that subsequently overtake a picturesque seaside town, where anyone is a suspect.

My thoughts… David Tennant!  David Tennant!  David Tennant!  David Tennant!  Maybe I’m too much of a fan girl to give an unbiased opinion on this show, but the full review nearly took my breath away as I was waiting to hear what they would say next. 

Plus…..did I mention David Tennant?

 


 


~~More to come!  Stay tuned!~~

   Thanks for reading!  I appreciate each and every one of you!  Please help DV on TV  grow by "liking" each post you see from DV on TV, sharing posts and retweeting  posts!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment